Thursday, February 16, 2012

Two TV Shows I Love & Hate

Apparently I have a seriously weird relationship with television shows. Maybe I'm tainted somehow because I work in the television industry now... Maybe. 

Two shows that I'm loving right now are both on the History Channel - Top Gear America & Top Shot. These two shows are plenty of fun to watch, but I also love to hate them! Hopefully I can explain myself without convincing myself to stop watching completely! 

Top Gear: America
I'm a big fan of the original UK Top Gear and I was excited to see there would be an American version. I think they're officially in their third season, and all of the familiar faces are back. Again. One of the reasons that I love the UK version is the relationship between the hosts: They're funny, knowledgeable, and completely bumbling sometimes. It's amazing how much they love to hate each other. It's like watching three brothers fighting about which car goes 'vroom' more. Awesome.

Top Gear: America tries to get this same feeling by throwing together three random dudes. Nice try guys, but it's not working. You're not funny together and we can tell that it's a little forced. Even the stunts and challenges they attempt are near duplicates of the UK versions. It's uninspiring. The only guy that I seem to like is Rutledge. He reminds me a lot of my friend Evan. He's big, lovable, and genuinely funny. Let's compare...

Rutledge
Evan
Evil clones or  Brothers of Awesomeness?

Whatever. I'll keep watching, but I have to cringe when a joke falls flat or the challenge is just plane lame.

Top Shot
Again this is another show that I love, but hate. Here's why I like Top Shot: Guns, weird shooting challenges, and the cheesy slow motion. Those are all fairly guy oriented things. I am a guy. It's a no-brainer. Here's reasons why I hate Top Shot: the host enunciates words in the most obnoxious way, they try and get you hooked on the drama that happens in the 'house' they stay in, they always choose one guy who's the 'jerk' that make you hate. It's just a lame reality show wrapped in a shooting competition. That's the reason I watch it online! I can just fast forward to the good parts without all of the lame fabricated drama. 

Thank you internet video!

-The Everyday All Nighter

1 comment:

  1. I love Top Shot! It's one of my favorite competition shows out there. So interesting and entertaining. The only thing that bugs me is when they go out for the competition they bring backpacks. How long are they out there that they need to carry a huge bag? All they need is there glasses and earpieces. Mysterious.

    ReplyDelete