Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tuesday Man Up - Tip #1: Change Your Own Oil

Forget all of those 'Jiffy' places and the expensive dealership oil changes and learn to do it yourself. I've been changing my own oil in my truck for several years now and I'm glad I know how to do it. You're probably thinking that performing and oil change is a giant hassle and a waste of time, but I've found I get a great deal of satisfaction out of working with my hands - on a car - like a MAN!



You're going to start complaining right about now... I'm a man, but I don't have the time to get greasy and sloppy with oil. Don't let your imagination get the best of you! Of all the things to fix on your car, changing the oil is about as difficult and takes as much time as a thorough car hand wash. (You should be doing those on your own as well! Man up.)

I've found that I pay quite bit less for an oil change I perform myself, than going to a carwash place or a 'quikie-lube' type place. My truck takes 6 quarts of standard 5w-20 oil and a standard oil filter. Simple. Depending on the brand and where I buy it, I'll spend between $22 to $30 dollars. It may not seem great but when you compare that with all of the taxes and disposal fees that get tacked on at the register - it's definitely worth the effort.

Let's get started!

Here's what you'll need:

Oil Pan - Get a large enough one to hold all of your engine oil & hopefully one with a spout.
Gloves - The oil and engine get hot! I use Mechanix gloves.
Sockets and Wrench - You'll need these to remove the oil drain plug.
Mechanics Paper Towels - I get these at Costco and they're great a soaking up spilt oils.
Oil - The brand of oil you buy depends on the need of the vehicle and the depth of your wallet. I like using Pennsoil, but I've been told by a trustworthy mechanic that Mobile 1 is the absolute best.
Oil Filter - Again the brand depends on the need of the vehicle and the depth of your wallet.



Ok, just dive under that car and get to work!

Here's the steps:
  1. Unscrew the oil cap on top of the engine. It's usually yellow or has a yellow oil can on it.
  2. Under the car - place the pan under the oil and unscrew the oil drain plug.
  3. Drain the oil and replace the drain plug.
  4. Move over to the oil filter and unscrew that. It usually leaks quite a bit of oil as well, so have the oil pan ready.
  5. Replace with the new oil filter, but be sure to wet the rubber o-rings with a bit of new oil. It makes sure the seal is tight, but still easy to remove for next time.
  6. After everything is hand tight (not gorilla tight!), go ahead and pour the new oil into the fill spout. 
  7. You're almost there! Close everything up, wipe up any drips, and wipe your hands off.
  8. Jump into the drivers seat and turn the ignition to just before the car starts. The gauges should move around a bit, once they do - just 'half' start the car. This gets the oil moving into the filter and to the rest of the engine.
  9. Give the car a full start. 
  10. You're done!
  11. Collect Official 'Man Card' 
  12. Kiss your lovely lady.

I forgot to mention that you need to dispose of the old oil. Most automotive stores will gladly do it or there are even oil recyclers in your town that will take it as well. After that you'll propably want to grow a mustache, take a shower and smell like a man as well...

You're welcome.

-The Everyday All Nighter




No comments:

Post a Comment